Sunday 26 September 2004

Interesting statistic

I was advised of the most amazing stat i've heard in a long time. Apparantly the annual youth suicide rate in Australia is much higher than the entire continent of Africa. I cant remember the exact number, but nonetheless i found that quite suprising.....

A so-called 1st world country of 20 million ppl have more of their youth wanting to end their lives than a third world continent of over 200 million ppl?? Africa's a place where hunger, war, AIDS and suffering are most prominent in many young and old africans' lives, yet the youth of Australia have more troubles than those to warrant killing themselves?

I'm not totally biased in my opinions. I admit comparing the youth of Australia and Africa is much like comparing apples & oranges. Relativity has got to have some part in this, the causes of youth suicide in our society could be considered more complex, as there are more factors available to instigate suicide. On the other hand, Africa would have a narrower spectrum of factors to promote a horrendous such as suicide. I guess trying to find food for tonite's family meal of 12 while starving would get your mind off contemplating suicide just coz u think noone loves you.......

I know i sound a bit cynicial about this topic, but in reality i'm not. It's just that this is such a complex issue, it would ridiculous to fit it in a single post. There are ppl close to me that have had to deal with such an issue, and i know 1st hand how serious it can be.

No comments: