Thursday 2 September 2004

Bloody litigation

There are some aspects of today's society i really hate. One of them is litigation. I hate how some shmucks are out there, waiting to pounce on someone else's mistake. Now its reached a stage where if they arent "happy" with the final result, they can sue u for not telling them that i may not be able to read their minds as to what THEY think is a good result.

I got an almighty shock when in the mail today i recieved a letter with all the official letterheads and the title "complaint re: ........." My heart sank when i started to think i had actually offended someone enough for them to sue me. I have been well prepared in uni for the high chances of getting sued at least a few times in my career, but u never think it'll actually happen to YOU!

Lesson 1: Dont judge a letter by its letterhead and title; read the letter first. Upon doing so, i realised i wasnt the one getting sued, it was more they were asking for info regarding someone who wants to sue someone ELSE. Phew!

Even though i was relieved it wasnt me, i am still annoyed at having to be dragged into this. The last thing i want to do is testify against someone i've never even met! And in the medical world, opinions are so varied, and just coz u get one u dont LIKE, doesnt mean u go sue them!! Whatever the case, i'll be trying my hardest NOT to get involved in this, what i believe to be one of modern society's biggest curses.

No comments: