Wednesday 18 August 2004

Empathy

I've always believed that in my profession, empathy is a key quality in becoming successful. There's nothing worse than lying in a submissive position while someone thoroughly inspects what some may consider to be a private orifice of the human body. The occasional grunt of approval or disapproval, passing body odour or plain discomfort seems to be part and parcel of a visit to the dentist.

Well today i had my 1st taste (pardon the pun) of what ppl complain about when visiting the dentist. I went in for a checkup and clean and she picked up some staining in the grooves of my teeth. So i came back today to get them cleaned out and sealed. Its similar to a filling but not quite. Thankfully, i didnt need a needle, but proceeded to sandblast my teeth and fill it.

I'll admit, it wasnt the most pleasant experience of my life, but it certainly wasnt the worst. Its either my dentist is exceptionally good or the majority of ppl are paranoid and hypochondriacs.

But i am thankful for the experience, its made me aware that opening my mouth for extended preiods of time sux, pain when in such a submissive position would not go down well, dental materials taste awful, your lips dry out a LOT during the procedure & it gets pretty boring down there. I think I'm a better person for it, and i believe i can go forth and service the general public better now, because i have experienced it firsthand, then ever before.... :)

No comments: