Friday 17 December 2004

sport & psychology

U know how sometimes u have that unscratchable itch in u, where u just cant wait to get out and get to that itch? Something that has been building up within u, with no sense of resolve? Well one of those itches for me has been the desire to play sport again.

Ever since my injury, i have been incapable to play any sort of sport. In fact, i could barely twist around to reach over to get anything! But after a month of physio, i've been put back on track, and have reached the point where i may resume an active lifestyle once more.

So today i managed to have my 1st swing of the golf club in a LONG time. I must admit that i was quite apprehensive in going to the driving range, as i did not want a recurrence of my injury. So the 1st few swings were definitely very ginger, so tentative that i missed the ball completely! (Much to the amusement of my golfing wannabe companion ;) Then again, i dont know if she was laughing at my golf skill or just me...)

It definitely took awhile to get going, and i started middle-ing the ball more, although in my mind i was constantly thinking i was feeling pain or tightness from my back. This was definitely a case of "mind over matter". The back is fine. Surgery has fixed it. Now i need to get my mind over it. And stop being so scared. Who says sport psych doesnt exist?

No comments: