Monday 10 January 2005

There is hope yet...

In light of the Tsunami catastrophe, now more than ever, i feel there is hope yet. How so? Well.......

There's been SO MUCH fund raising stuff for the tsunami victims, u cant get by without seeing an ad on tv, newspaper, billboard, beer cartons, or hearing about it on radio. Yet, i'm amazed at how generous and caring ppl have been. When i saw Eddie Maguire on that telethon thing, i cringed and thought," not another plug by Eddie..." But the general public are unlike me. They looked past that. They are bigger than that. They see the real issue here. That is, helping the victims. And I'll admit, i was humbled by this.

Noone has really dwelled on the past. It's happened. Get over it. Let's focus on what we're left with, help the victims, fix what needs fixing. I've only heard a minority of reports on "WHY". Usually in times like these, i notice ppl like to ask "WHY" or "Who's to blame". I'm glad that hasnt been the bulk of the news.

I wonder if god allowed such a travesty to occur as a spur for mankind to unite & show care for one another for once, no matter who they are or where they're from. I mean, we had a impromptu concert/telethon thingy on sat nite that raised 15 million dollars in a few hrs. The cricket match (World XI vs Asia) raised over 10 million during the match. Coporate businesses from everywhere are throwing in millions and hundreds of thousands in. I'm thinking,"how come everyone's got so much money all of a sudden?"

In a world that strives towards and seeks profits rather than gains, it so warms my heart to see some humility return to the world. Where the starving children in africa, war in iraq, abusive govts of millitaristic regimes failed to raise an eyebrow yesterday, today this one catasrophe has managed to bring together the WHOLE world and show love for humanity. Love for one another. Love for our fellow human being.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe that the channels all got together for it. I don't usually watch much TV, but I was at a friend's place, and her dad was flipping through the channels, and they were all the same. That really brought home the point that they didn't care about profits any more - they really wanted to help. Warmed my heart :)